Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My Experience Collecting Data with GPS


          I used an iPhone as my GPS receiver with the Easy GPS app, and a trusy assistant, my son Logan, age 9. We embarked on our bikes, and Logan was instrumental in finding hydrants, reading and transcribing the coordinates, and creating very useful descriptions of the hydrants. Thanks to Christine's heads-up in her blog post, before hitting the road I changed the settings of Easy GPS to display coordinates in Digital Degrees.

Screenshot of the locations of 10 Ann Arbor fire hydrants on Google Earth. 
Click to magnify, or open KML file in Google Earth.

          Upon uploading the coordinates into Google Earth, I noticed two things. One, as we took our coordinates at all of the locations, Easy GPS said the reading could be plus or minus 4 to 7 meters. The 4-meter differential was at the location farthest from buildings. This translated into Google Earth showing some coordinates matching exactly the fire hydrant location, but others across the street, or in the middle of the street.
          And two, there is an acute triangle formed from the fire hydrant locations which denotes our path. I'll leave it to others to explore Street View around the tip of the triangle to discover what our sweet destination was!


No comments:

Post a Comment